In 1956, the U.S. Navy awarded a contract to North American Aviation to design and build a new
jet trainer aircraft, which would come to be known as the T-2 Buckeye. The T-2 was to be used for basic and
advanced air combat and carrier operations training. Over the years there would be two major
modifications to the original T-2A design, the T-2B, and the T-2C.
The early model T2-J1s (or T-2A's) entered service in July of 1959. The
first cadets to carrier qualify in a T-2A did so aboard the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Antietam
(CV-36) on June 2, 1960.
The first of the upgraded T-2B's, now equipped with two engines to have their performance match more
closely with the jet fighters of the day, entered service in December of 1965. The first T-2B
carrier landing by a student was on September 2, 1966 on the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Lexingtion (CV-16).
The third and final major modification came as the T-2C was introduced in 1968 with General Electric
The last T-2 carrier landing was that of a T-2C on July 25, 2003, aboard the aircraft
carrier U.S.S. Harry S. Truman (CVN 75).
A total of 609 T-2 aircraft were built.
The T-2, although an excellent training aircraft, has a completely analog cockpit, and as such it has
been phased out by the U.S. Navy in favor of the T-45 Goshawk, which has a state-of-the-art digital cockpit
and has perfomance that closely matches modern fighter aircraft. The T-2 is stil in service
with the Hellenic (Greek) Air Force and possibly the FAV (Venezuelan Air Force).
For more information on the T-2 from the free 'Wikipedia' click